Sunday, August 16, 2009

Austin, TX Part Deux

Our taste of Texas continues....after House Pizzeria came Chuy's, The County Line BBQ, and the airport version of The Salt Lick.

CHUY'S

Chuy's is the real deal my foodie readers. Yes, it is a chain in Texas but as chains go, it is delicious. Crispy chips and a spicy salsa greet everyone who settles into their very comfortable booths. The menu is completely overwhelming and I was determined at the time not to have order envy! Sarah highly recco'd the fish tacos. I kept thinking how can I come to a famous Tex-Mex joint and not get a burrito? It felt wrong. I bowed to the burrito gods and ordered up the chicken fajita topped with a creamy salsa (heavy cilantro, tomatoes, and sour cream). It was the best burrito I have ever tasted (see pic). The honor was once held by the Burrito Bunker in Chapel Hill, NC. No longer. I have awarded Chuy's the title! My burrito was fairly big but since the chips were far from my reach, I had just enough room to finish my lunch. Sarah and Jasper's fish tacos smelled so good. They were breaded in a sweet panko and then fried crispy. Sarah ordered this "special sauce" that she dipped her taco in that really kicked it up a notch. Our waiter called this sauce Ranchero. A spicy ranch with a definite Texas kick. Get it if you go! Georgi's combo platter was an interesting array of little goodies that she made quite a dent in. I had a little bite of her tamale and it was tasty but I was too consumed with my burrito to cheat on it. Scott, Sarah's hubby, had something cheesy and yummy that looked just as good as mine!

Bottom line: Delicious. For some reason, I think I might have been to a Chuy's in Ft. Worth but I can't recall exactly. It was several years ago for a wedding. The one thing I can't understand is how places like Chile's make it in Texas when there are places like Chuy's. Oh well, some people just don't get it. More for me!

www.chuys.com; several locations all over Texas

THE COUNTY LINE BBQ

We left Chuy's and headed to the Hill country to check into The Barton Creek Resort. If you find yourself in Austin, take a night and go out to the Hill country. The landscape is really beautiful and not something you would imagine in Texas. Our resort was completely swish. Let me say that one more time. TOTALLY SWISH! After settling into our rooms, we headed for the pool and health club. Sadly, due to the drought, the hotel creek had dried up. We decided to investigate for ourselves and took a little Texas nature hike. Post hike, we sucked down several of Sarah's homemade mojitos, and then we finally made our way to our dinner feast.

The County Line is certainly the largest BBQ joint I have ever visited. Set atop a hill, the inside of County Line is like a ski lodge in Colorado or Park City, cozy, homey, and a smile on every workers face. There is a patio out back that overlooks the hills but only drinks and starters are served. Our server, Daryl, was the sweetest guy you could imagine. He was so authentic and happy to have a table of ladies to serve. I think he was also impressed by our ordering skills. We didn't skimp and told him to bring it on! We ordered up a pitcher of local beer that was refreshing and cool. As a complement, we started with their beer battered onion rings and homemade ranch dip. The menu, know as BIG CHIEF, was filled with options but I decided to do a combo platter so I could have the brisket (sorry arteries), the BBQ ribs, and the jalapeno sausage. As my sides, I did the homemade coleslaw and then their mac n' cheese. The brisket was the best I have tasted thus far in life. So moist and tender it just melted in your mouth. The BBQ ribs had so much meat on them I was shocked. They fell apart in my hands. The sausage was good but a bit spicy. My slaw was excellent but the mac n' cheese was just OK. No cheddar kick and it looked more like a massacre of Velveeta. I wouldn't order it again. We all had the same thing except for Jasper who didn't do ribs and instead opted for BBQ chicken. As a last order, we added their homemade sweet bread to the table that was perfect for slopping up the juices and meat that fell from our mouths. As I was eating all these amazing flavors, I had to laugh at the table next to us. It was a group of tourists from Asia and Germany that didn't have one single piece of meat on their plates. They had salads and some kind of fish dish. Who the heck does that?! If you are going to do BBQ, do it right! Completely full and dreaming of my pj's, we headed back to our resort for a night cap.

Bottom line: Another winner in Texas! I would repeat my exact meal sans the mac n' cheese. It was pure pig heaven at The County Line!

www.bartoncreek.com

www.countyline.com





THE SALT LICK @ the Austin Airport

Just when you think I couldn't get anymore BBQ, I happened upon The Salt Lick at the Austin Airport. Georgi and I both had time to kill before our flights so we stepped up one more time for some delicious BBQ. I had the chopped brisket sandwich and Georgi had the sliced brisket sandwich. Both were amazing and the BBQ sauce they gave you was out of this world. I couldn't get enough of it! Talk about not getting yucky airport food! Even though my flight home to NYC was delayed, I was a happy girl and I have The Salt Lick and Georgi to thank!

Bottom Line: If the airport test run of The Salt Lick is any indication, the real place is sure to rock. I am putting Driftwood, TX on my travel to do list!

www.saltlickbbq.com


Last BBQ thought.......

Living in NYC has afforded me the pleasure of eating lots of BBQ. I have tried Wildwood, Hill Country, Blue Smoke, Southern Hospitality, and Brother Jimmy's. Out of all five, I prefer Hill Country as I think the wood they bring from Texas makes a difference in the pit. I stepped out this year for The Big Apple BBQ but didn't get to try that much food as it went fast (Insider tip: I had a fast pass and that didn't help all that much. Next year I need to get there when they open). One of my friend's highly recco's Town Line in Sagaponack so I think that is next on my BBQ list. Giddy up friends!

www.townlinebbq.com


post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment