Friday, August 28, 2009

Da Bronx

I confess, I am lukewarm about watching baseball. As a kid, I remember watching the Pittsburgh Pirates with my gram and always looked forward to this occasion as it came with a root beer float. Gram was a master float maker. She would serve these heavenly drinks in these great big beer mugs that practically covered my face they were so big. After the floats always came a rush of sugar to my head and in no time I was fast asleep next to her. She would wake me after the game and tuck me into bed and whisper how much she loved me and that the Pirates would win next time. I always think of her when I watch baseball....

A few Friday evenings ago, I headed up to the new Yankee stadium with my pals. It was chilly out and the rain cloud channel 4 predicted actually came and sat over the stadium for most of the evening. Despite the rain, we had a wonderful evening that was highlighted by a visit to Lobel's meat mecca. Lobel's has been around for over 100 years and I have passed their Madison avenue store many times but never had a reason to visit. Finally, I had a reason and their steak sandwich was calling my name. My pals and I stood in a relatively short line and all ante'd up $15 bucks for the steak sandwich. Since NY law now requires calories to be posted on all menus, we knew that the steak sandwich was 435 calories. The steak was sliced and covered in its natural juice and then placed on a perfectly baked roll. Back at our seats, we pulled the sandwiches out of their bags and all took a bite. Silence. Imagine, 4 girls not saying a word? Impossible, right? Ha! As the rain poured down on us and added more moisture to our rolls, we continued to eat them. Nothing could get between us and our sandwiches. The meat was so tender and the flavors were just perfect. I hate when meat is too salty and this was perfect. The buns were super fresh and the horseradish sauce I added made everything even better.

Wet, cold, but very full, we headed back downtown while the Yanks kicked some White Sox toush in the final inning.

www.lobels.com

Bottom line: skip the burgers and waffle fries and treat yourself to Lobel's. Worth every penny! Too bad I won't be back to Yankee stadium anytime soon!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment