Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Roadside Lunch

On our way back to Vero Beach from St. Augustine, we decided to drive the barrier islands as far as we could go before getting on I-95. We crossed over the Bridge of Lions from St. Augustine proper to Anastasia Island. The island, believed to have been a landing spot of Ponce De Leon, is absolutely beautiful. The white sandy beaches made me feel like I was in Bermuda!

Before we left our hotel, we asked the front desk clerk for a lunch recco as we headed back south to Vero. Without hesitation, he said we must try a place called Nula's that was located in camper that was "parked" in front of a surf shop. Anyone who knows the foodie chick knows that she isn't a fan of road food. Fear of being poisoned aside, I pulled up and went to the "counter" and ordered a spicy grouper soft taco (mom could not be convinced and just sat in the car wondering what her ten bucks was going to buy). I watched as these two very cute surfer dudes prepared my taco in a space the size of a shower stall. When one turned the other knew immediately and adjusted. It was fascinating. 5 minutes later, I had in my hot little hands a soft taco that was just calling my name. The taco itself was multi-layered but the ingredients stayed intact and didn't jiggle all over when I took a bite. Layer one was this delicious spicy refried bean concoction that was accented with fresh cilantro. The second layer was the freshest grouper that was perfectly cooked. The 3rd layer was a combo of lettuce and sharp cheddar cheese. The final layer, and what made this the best fish taco, was this creamy mayo spiked with chili. Delicious. I even managed to eat the taco in the drivers seat of my mom's car without getting one crumb anywhere. Sorry to all my readers for not snapping a picture of the taco. I ate it too fast!

Bottom Line: I can't tell you an exact address of Nula's but the camper sits right at the entrance to Anastasia Island state park. If you find yourself in these parts check Nula's and you won't be disappointed.

Next up: Experiment at home and my love poem to Texas.


post signature




No comments:

Post a Comment